Sunday, March 01, 2009

Capital preservation made easy

You know how they say you want to try to get your income tax payment/refund as close to zero as possible so that you're not giving the government an interest-free loan AND you don't have to come up with a hefty chunk of change in the spring? Well, this year, I wasn't anywhere near zero. I got a refund. And you know what? I'm glad. I'm happy the U.S. got to keep my money for a little while longer than they should have. If I'd taken home more cash in 2008, I might've been tempted to, you know, put it in stocks or something. So instead, the government was nice enough to hold onto that money for me, and return it to me fully preserved. All of which doesn't solve the problem of what to do with it now. Save or invest?

1 comment:

Daryl said...

There are no good investments right now, but it's a great time to buy clothes. Invest in yourself: Buy clothes!

(Hey, that's pretty good. Brooks Brothers should hire me to write marketing copy!)

- Daryl