Thursday, June 19, 2008

Star struck again

I saw Connie Britton today, the actress who plays the wife of the high school football coach (Kyle Chandler in a career defining role) on NBC's "Friday Night Lights." Readers of this space know how much I love this show. I was about 90 percent sure it was her, and then confirmed it for sure later on. We made eye contact as I passed, but I didn't have the guts to stop and gush about how great I think her work on the show is, and how glad I was to learn that it's coming back for another season, albeit in a novel (yet frustrating for me) arrangement where it'll be just on a satellite channel in the fall before playing on NBC in the winter. This is one of those shows that hangs on for dear life because it's not among the most popular, but it has a strong critical following. I don't know if it's strange enough to deem it a cult following, but it's something like that. I guess I could've stopped and told her all this, but it would've felt weird. That's what teenagers do, I thought. I see famous people pretty frequently, but it's usually the second-tier celebs (like Chip Kidd, who I'm pretty darn sure was finishing up a slice of pizza in his running clothes the other day near the Random House building) that cause me to stop and consider accosting for a moment of interaction, before usually scrapping the idea, all within a few seconds sometimes. One of the few times I can remember actually speaking to the person was - how's this for utterly random? - Amanda Bakker, the (now-estranged, I learn) wife of Jay Bakker, preacher son of Jim Bakker and Tammy Faye Bakker Messner, who was featured in a documentary on Showtime.

No comments: