Monday, April 21, 2008

One violin concerto away from Midtown

A young violinist was playing outside the Barnes & Noble at 82nd Street the other day, and I had to stop because of this and because he was playing very well and I didn't have anywhere I needed to be. I lingered, recognizing one of the tunes, but not able to place it until I threw some money into his case - just as a little kid was asking his mom, "How does it sound so good?" - and the musician told me it was Philadelphia-area native Samuel Barber's Violin Concerto. I later downloaded Hilary Hahn's performance of the work from iTunes, then listened to it on the way to work this morning. Pressed play just as I got on the train and the final seconds of the third movement ticked away as the doors to 59th Street were opening. One third of a concert, beautifully wedged into my morning.

No comments: