Sunday, April 20, 2008

State Theater renovations, Harold Prince

I caught the tail-end of New York City Opera's season today, seeing Bernstein's Candide for the first time. Enjoyed it very much. The overture, of course, I've heard many times and loved hearing again. And I later realized that I was familiar - did Jason Danieley sing it? - with the touching-for-its-realism finale, "Make Our Garden Grow." The production values were sensational, and on top of that, we got to applaud the man who had so much to do with keeping alive this work - and creating so many others: Hal Prince. He spoke on stage after curtain, and it was from him that I learned the State Theater is going to be closed later this year for renovations, which are going to abbreviate next year's City Opera season. It makes me disappointed that I didn't take advantage of other productions this year. Still, across the plaza at the Met, I'll be seeing Satyagraha on Tuesday night, my first live Philip Glass opera after many years of enjoying the quirkiness of Einstein on the Beach.

No comments: