Thursday, May 03, 2007

High and low brow

So it turns out I will be seeing Spider-Man 3 tomorrow night, followed by Maysles' The Gates gala premiere on Saturday night: from blockbuster bread-and-circuses to a documentary that probably won't even get a theater distribution deal, maybe some late-night HBO or PBS showings if it's lucky. And yet I have higher expectations for the latter.

In other news, that Columbia-area Thai restaurant Lime Leaf has opened up a downtown (direction, not neighborhood) outpost. Unfortunately, they haven't gotten their liquor license yet at the 72nd St. location. It's a rare occasion when you sit down to eat here and order a beer and they can't oblige. Except for Angelica Kitchen, which I'm angry at currently because of their poor management of wait times, and BYOB places, which I don't frequent very often, it's just not that common, I've found. The extra kind waitress (she just moved here from the Midwest and hasn't become hardened yet) assured me, however, that the bar will be up and running in two weeks or so.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm so jealous that you are seeing 'the Gates'. I totally would have gotten a ticket. But I'm in SF until late late tomorrow night.

Ah well. I'll live vicariously through you. Please write about it.

-Sarah in San Francisco