Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Last time for who knows how long


An expanse of green in a land of blue and white. Back up to the alma mater for grad weekend to see the sis get her diploma. The campus just keeps sprouting new buildings, most of them designed tastefully and arranged in harmony with what came before. It's a true "red brick university," to use the Brits' term. No Harvard/Cambridge, but the next best thing after that, and one focused especially on real-world application, with the American version of that building material to match the sterling reputation. It will probably be the last time I go back for what could be many years, now that I don't know anyone who is a student there any longer. That thought along with the emotion of one of the ceremonies -- experienced now as an observer, not a distracted participant -- brought a tear to my eye. The college campus, especially that one, as bucolic as it is, only coalesces into something more when you are a part of it somehow, when you know the people, have a reason to be there, etc. While there is the potential to be a part of the tailgating football tradition, I don't think it will be the same and I don't see it happening for me. Walking by the dormitory where I spent three and a half great years, my mind leapt from one memory to another, most of them happy and more vivid than I'd expect. The campus is littered with those kind of connections, but at the end of the day, it's all just a shell waiting to be filled up by the late-night walks, the snowbound play, the early morning rushing, the emotional gatherings of the students of today and of tomorrow.

No comments: