Monday, April 09, 2007

The Gates is coming! Again!

A year and a half after I'd expected it, Albert Maysles' documentary of Christo and Jeanne-Claude's The Gates is having its premiere in a few weeks, and I've got a pair of tickets to one of the showings. (Anyone want to join me?) So many of us were there for the finale, those two weeks in February, but it'll be interesting to see snippets from the 26 years in the making. (Almost as long as the Second Avenue subway, right?) Saturday was the first day Tribeca Film Festival tickets went on sale for regular AmEx card holders, and since - I'd imagine - this isn't exactly a small subset of the filmgoing population, the website and phone bank were overwhelmed. Sunday, things opened up. This Friday, "downtown" residents (below Canal Street) without AmEx cards (do any exist?) can start buying tickets, and Saturday, everyone else can do so.

Speaking of Maysles Films, Albert and his late brother David filmed the original Grey Gardens upon which the hit musical is based. (S. has seen it three times!) Still need to see that myself ... perhaps as soon as Wednesday!

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I've seen it at last 16 times.

Jeremy said...

Isn't that cuz you work there?

Sarah said...

Last night marked my 6th time!