Sunday, February 11, 2007

Things that are still there

I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's again, part to and part from the ski weekend, on the bus, thanks to the magic of iPod. Something that struck me was how certain scenes could be filmed today and not much would have to be changed. The main floor of Tiffany's still looks pretty much the same as it did 46 years ago. Ditto for the Seagram Building, which was just a few years old at the time when they filmed Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard sitting out front of it, toward the end of the film, and "Holly" remarks that she loves New York and will take her imagined children back to see it after they've grown up in Brazil.

While I can't think of too many specifics right now, I know it's been featured in many movies and even a few songs made during the decades that followed its construction in the late '50s. There's a line in Sondheim's Company (1970), currently in revival on Broadway and featured in this recent Times article, that goes: "You know what comes to my mind when I see him? [Bobby] The Seagram's building. Isn't that funny?" I guess it doesn't hurt that it's named after a liquor company.

Another thing that's still around, although it remains off screen in the movie, is what they call Hamburger Heaven, now shortened to Burger Heaven, an Upper East Side mini-chain institution.

No comments: