Thursday, February 08, 2007

Good Girl/Bad Girl

It'll be three years that I've lived in the city come spring, but it's only now that I finally got around to one of those quintessential NYC experiences I'd seen in movies and read about in the Times: seeing a cabaret singer while sipping a cocktail in a secluded old hotel lounge. And I wasn't disappointed. I only wish I could've shared it with someone else. I saw Maude Maggart (Fiona Apple's sister) sing in the Oak Room of the Algonquin Hotel. The experience was transporting, and so much fun I didn't want it to end. I think it's taken me this long because I don't always recognize the names of the people performing in such cushy venues, but Maude I've now seen three times -- the last time being a free River2River show in the Stuyvesant High theater last summer. She was great then, but even more in her element tonight. I sat next to a couple who said they remember being neighbors with Maude (born Amber) and Fiona, back when they were toddlers. They kept insisting that Maude/Amber was either 40 or in her late 30s, which is funny because of all people, they should realize she's younger than that: just 31. But she's definitely got an old soul, and often speaks about her grandmother, who was a Broadway dancer back when many of the songs she sings were first written. Next on Maggart's sked: London and Chicago. But she's back to New York in June. I should really just go ahead and buy tickets now.

No comments: