Thursday, December 14, 2006

Late-night Wednesday

K. and I caught up after not seeing each other for nearly a month tonight at Henry's, which has wide-open floor space, high ceilings and nice holiday decorations. We ended up talking about how we were both following in our fathers' footsteps, career-wise, and how both sets of our parents had their first real dates in New York City: dinner and a show, each time. (The shows were, as we understand, Hair and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.) And now here we are each of us living in the city where we kinda sorta began. (Granted, Jersey is just across the water.) After we said goodbye, and after only one glass of wine, I spotted a trio of 20-somethings carrying a spindly little Christmas tree with a pair of 2x4s for its base, and I couldn't contain myself having just watched the Christmas special on YouTube the other night (it's all there, along with lots of parodies, just do a search), and I yelled out to them, "It's a Charlie Brown tree!" (It really did fit the part, even more so than the one I bought last year.) Earlier in the evening, I helped A. pack up her truck to move north to Mass. I don't think it's quite hit me that she's leaving, but I know I'll miss her. Still, it's only two states away from here: not that far.

No comments: