Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Tuesday night lights

While I do enjoy me some Penn State football and used to spend many a cold fall Saturday in the bleachers of high school stadiums, I'm not especially enticed by typical Big Game narratives in movies or TV. But when the Times raves about a TV show the way they did today, I had to check it out. The score? "Friday Night Lights" is great television, gripping stuff, the kind that reminds you of what's possible. There are times when it feels more art than entertainment. The camera work, the music, the way we pull in and out of the action, one moment observing West Texas town life from a distance, the next moment observing tiny, telling character details. I can only hope that the rest of the season, or whenever I catch an episode, will be as good as this one.

No comments: