Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Station identification, or 'Are you out there, can you hear this?'

The end of summer has always spelled transition for me, more so than other season changes. [It also happens to be the title of one of my favorite Dar albums.] Once it was about returning to classes and seeing the community pool shuttered and drained and saying goodbye to summer friends as well as that bouyant feeling that anything was possible. Some people really look forward to the fall. But even though school was never a huge burden to me, I didn't look forward to its beginning; it still suddenly felt like my time was no longer my own. Or there would be less of it to devote to projects and pursuits of my own. [In a much broader and serious sense, that was akin to the progression of feelings I had during this period in 2001 because of what was going on in our country, in what would be my future city. Suddenly, it felt like our time wasn't ours anymore. It'd been stolen.]

So it is again this August-into-September: Some endings and some beginnings, not all of which I'll detail here. I will, however, note that I'll no longer be contributing regularly to Curbed after this week. This was a really tough decision, but I feel that it's for the best, for my sanity, as I embark on a new gig elsewhere that'll be occupying a lot of my time. [Ask me for the details if I haven't already told you.] It's hard to say goodbye to this, because writing for the site was my small New York success story, something I could put in that big box of dreams marked "Move to the big city and make a name for yourself." And it happened without me really even trying that hard. There is, of course, another item for that box, but it's in its nascent stage. Perhaps a few months or a year from now, I'll feel confident enough that I can speak about it in similar terms.

But before I begin anew, I've carved out a few weeks during which I'll be traveling to the Jersey Shore, a place very familiar from my childhood, and also visiting an entirely new place for me: California. There will also be ample time in between, here in the city, for me to tend to a list of things I rarely get around to doing. I'm also free for midday sessions at the coffee shop or the park. I'm going to do my best to enjoy this luxury of time.

4 comments:

Jaime said...

That's one of my favorite Dar songs up there in the title. And I assume the leaving Curbed means you got that new job? Hope it's something good. (I belive there's a much-delayed movie outing I owe you. I should do something about that.)

Chris said...

I'm also assuming it is a new job- congratulations man.

AddledWriter said...

Details...

Congrats, and I enjoy reading this!

T.A.B. said...

I agree with those above. If it's a new job, then mazel tov!