Thursday, August 31, 2006

Raw meat (OK, not actually raw)

One of the things I've really come to appreciate since coming to NYC is the joy of vegetarian cuisine. But every once in a while, I get this craving for a really good burger. This afternoon, after some appointments over on the East Side, I stopped by one of my three favorite burger places: Prime Burger at 5 East 51st St., right across from St. Patrick's Cathedral. It had a prominent spot in my rotation of lunch joints back when I worked in that neighborhood. And there was something really satisfying to go back there again, like seeing an old friend who moved away, although in this case I guess I was the one who moved away. My other two favorites? Burger Joint, hidden inside Le Parker Meridien between West 57th and 56th near Seventh Ave. And Corner Bistro, down in the West Village on that weird corner near the intersection of West 4th, Jane, and Eighth Ave. Of course, I'm always looking to add a fourth, fifth or sixth burger place to this list. Got any suggestions?

UPDATE: It occurred to me today (Friday) as I was passing Madison Square Park on a bus that there was a glaring omission in my burger triumverate: Shake Shack!

1 comment:

Jess said...

You've just named three of my personal favorites! I decided I wanted a really yummy cheeseburger for my birthday next week so Kip and I are going to Blue Smoke. I'll report back to you on the quality of the burger there!