Wednesday, August 30, 2006

ConEd mystery

Regular readers of the site might recall my shock at receiving a $131 gas/electric bill last month. Well, I was shocked once again tonight after I picked up my latest bill. But in a good way. Because it came in at a mere $33, well below what I normally pay. Could this mean there was some mistake last month and they're now correcting things by charging me less? The bill doesn't say. And these are actual readings they're basing things on, not estimates. So between the two months, I'm now averaging $82 a month, which is still high for this apartment, but not as bad.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Yeah, whereas mine was low for what I expected last month, this month topped 200 bucks. Stinks big time.

Kristina said...

This actually kinda makes sense.... When I was living on West College Ave. in State College we would often have electric bills that varied a lot. I called the company to find out why and they told me that they only read the meters every other month - so the "off-month", they guess at what the usage might be based on last year's bill and bill you accordingly. On the "on-month," they read the meter and make up the difference based on whether they over or underbilled you for the last month. It's all supposed to work out in the end. (you might know all of this, but I thought I'd enlighten the blogging world nonetheless!)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the $133 was right - you're running AC fulltime right?

Jeremy said...

Actually, I'd only been keeping the A/C on while I was in the apt., which was typically less than half the day. Until the temps cooled off and I didn't need it nearly as much.