Tuesday, July 18, 2006

On cheek kissing

Some college friends were in town last night, and I stayed out a bit longer than I'd planned, so I've been dragging a little bit so far today. (Luckily, I picked the right subway line heading downtown for once: i.e., the A, the one without the service malfunctions this morning.) After The Cottage but before the Irish pub with the dartboard up Amsterdam, we got on the topic of cheek/social kissing between friends and acquaintances. It's just not something you see a lot in Pennsylvania. I first encountered it as an adult among European friends in Manchester, but it's obviously pretty prevalent here in New York. So, to the questions of the day: Do you cheek kiss? Do you ever have awkward moments where the other person doesn't know you're going in for the peck, or vice versa? Have you learned to mentally divide people you know into those who do and those who don't? What settings or circles seem more prone to it? I wanna see some comments. :-)

5 comments:

Oedipa Maas said...

People who come too near my face may come away missing a limb. I am from New Jersey and we don't do "friendly."

Jeremy said...

You're so sweet, Oedipa.

Amy said...

this is so funny...i definitely divide them into two camps, but most people i know don't do it. when i was in france a couple years ago studying abroad, a lot of us started doing it amongst each other, but i think it tapered off once we were back in the states. and it's a little awkward when someone comes in and i'm not expecting it. hopefully i don't act too taken aback by it though. good topic jeremy :)

Anonymous said...

I'm in favor of cheek kissing among those I know well, family and good friends, not casual acquaintances. Some just get a hug instead of cheek kiss.

AddledWriter said...

People try to cheek kiss me and I'm not paying attention, and then they think I turned away on purpose, but really, I was clueless. I'm trying to pay better attention.