Saturday, July 29, 2006

More power to us

So I got my ConEd combined electric and gas bill today for what is typically the peak summer period. As I started to tear it open, I attempted to guess how much it would be. I started at $100, then bumped it up to $120, imagining that I'd be a little relieved when it came in below that rather high projection. But then I saw the number, and I realized how utterly insane it's been this past month in terms of heat and the need for A/C: $131.20 for a studio apartment with one air conditioner and one fan (two at the maximum). What's your bill like this month?

6 comments:

Oedipa Maas said...

In our house we constantly run...(counts on fingers) six air conditioners, two ceiling fans, three computers, two Sun System servers and the normal appliances. Our bill is around $440. That's why we made the dogs get jobs at pimps.

Sarah said...

My bill is waaaaaaay more than that. But I have two big rooms and bathrooms and I leave my ac on more than I probably should so the dog doesn't get sick.

I still think last summer was worse

Jeremy said...

OK, ok, so you have bigger living spaces than me. But you know what, it's not always so logical. Just spoke with someone who had basically the same bill -- $135 -- for an entire three-bedroom apartment: three air conditioners, appliances, etc. So there ... she's getting the best deal 'round, comparatively.

AddledWriter said...

$50.
I was surprised. ;)

Chris said...

Okay man, I can vouch for the woman paying $135. Cheryl and I just got the bill, and it's $152.88. We have a three bedroom on the top floor (black roof, not reflective coating). Every room faces south, no curtains in the livingroom, and we have four air conditioners plus washer and dryer in the apartment. We have at least one room cool all the time for the cat. We should be a recipe for impoverishment by ConEd. You might want to have your situation looked into. I lived in one apartment where the super had some of her apartment's power being billed to mine (not kidding).

Anonymous said...

750 sqft. apt. -> $17.68 for july. This is not a joke, but obviously I don't run ac.