Friday, July 07, 2006

California, here I come

Yeah, it's cheesy, but Phantom Planet's been playing on a loop in my head all day. Why? Because I bought the plane tickets! I'm officially flying out to California for a nine-day trip later this summer. No longer, when asked how far west I've been, will I have to answer Pittsburgh or Niagara Falls. So I'm looking for suggestions. I have about 3 days in San Francisco, 1 in the Napa Valley, 2 along the coast, and 3 in Los Angeles. I know this isn't very much, but what're some highlights I shouldn't miss? Already on my list: the Hearst Castle at San Simeon, plus the Getty Center and the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles. (Yes, I realize I'm being an archi-tourist.)

5 comments:

Oedipa Maas said...

I liked Alcatraz. They give you those headphones so you can do a self-guided tour, and you can take pictures like you're "in prison."

Ok, maybe Alcatraz was really lame. Stick with wine country. Good food. Make sure you visit Berkeley and put some soap in the fountain. Apparently, it's a tradition.

DLJ said...

in esseff: Cliff House for drinks at sunset, Buena Vista cafe for irish coffee, cable car ride, North Beach for espresso, carousel ride in Golden Gate Park

in napa valley: call ahead for private tasting somewhere, depending on your favorite varietal, picnic along backroads, eat at Bistro don Giovanni, soak for an hour two in Calistoga springs

Sarah said...

Bistro Don Giovanni is good but in the wine country I like Rutherford Grill for lunch and Martini House for dinner. Unless you wanna pay A LOT in which case you should go to French Laundry. If you can get in.

In SF you should try The Slanted Door in the Ferry Building. And go to Musee Mechanique. And the top of Coit Tower for views.

Spectator1 said...

Skip Fisherman's Wharf in San Fran. Way too touristy (think Hard Rock Cafe, Cold Stone Creamery, etc).
Really I think any of the small wineries in Napa are awesome. If you can, rent a convertible to drive to Napa. It's so much fun riding around the amazing countryside on a beautiful, sunny day with the top down. If you are staying in Napa and haven't made accomodations yet, I recommend a bed and breakfast. They will help you map out your day and give you a bunch of free tasting passes. Also, remember that Napa is basically a farm town, so those of us who are used to eating dinner at 9 or 10 at night have to plan ahead and eat a bit earlier b/c most restaurants close early.
I'm so jealous! Napa I think is one of the most relaxing, beautiful places in the world.

Christie said...

Be sure to walk across the Golden Gate Bridge, it's a surprisingly good time.