Monday, June 26, 2006

Restaurants in WaHI

Stopping by the New Leaf Cafe for a capuccino on Sunday, I picked up a copy of the Manhattan Times' Northern Manhattan Dining Guide (not online, unfortunately). It's a great little color booklet, shaped like a Zagat Survey, that features most of the better restaurants around Washington Heights, Hudson Heights and Inwood. I've eaten at nearly half of the places mentioned, but it did tip me off to a new eatery I'd like to try. It's called the Archway, and it's located in what used to be a small commisary in Hudson View Gardens, the Mock Tudor style co-op that stretches between Bennett Park and Castle Village on Cabrini Boulevard. The restaurant's address is 116 Pinehurst Ave., near West 183rd St., in Building C of the complex. The entrance is indeed through an archway. I took a peek inside and picked up a menu, which is also posted on the restaurant's website. Other eateries mentioned in the guide that I know and enjoy (besides New Leaf): 107 West, Bleu Evolution, Garden Cafe, Il Sole, Jesse's Place, Kismat, Next Door, and the Piper's Kilt.

2 comments:

Nikka said...

I've been to the Archway once for brunch. There was one woman doing all the cooking and serving. It was nice – it felt like I was a houseguest.

Where is Il Sole? And is Kismat the Indian place on Ft. Wash at 187?

I find that 107 West has consistently good food, unlike some of the other places.. and don’t forget the Japanese place on 181, across from Jessie’s Place. !! It’s one of my favorites in the neighborhood..

Jeremy said...

Il Sole's an Italian place on Dyckman, just a few shopfronts west of Broadway, facing the park, etc. I highly recommend it. Have been going since it opened up last year.