Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Pain on a sunny day

Just when so many things feel like they're going right, you wake up at 3:30 in the morning with excruciating pain, and can't fall back asleep, and pace your apartment, unable to get comfortable, sitting, standing, lying down, debating calling anybody to do phone triage. The pain drug they gave me did not reproduce that nice blissful feeling I had when I got my wisdom teeth out; it's merely allowed me to forget about the pain for a few minutes at a time, making things borderline bearable. Still, by late afternoon, I got up enough energy to go back out and walk (slowly by my standards) around the neighborhood, get a coffee, see life among the non-working public, wander around Fort Tryon Park and take in the Hudson and the flowers, even commiserate with J. for a few minutes by phone. She assured me I'm young, and I probably won't need surgery, but still: Will I wake up feeling this bad again tomorrow?

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hey man, I hope you feel better.

Jeremy said...

Thanks, Chris. I hope so too.