Monday, May 01, 2006

My Da Vinci blackout

I'm sure there are those out there who'll accuse me of being a book snob when I say this, but I refuse to read The Da Vinci Code — or see the movie for that matter, as much as I would ordinarily love watching Audrey Tautou and/or Tom Hanks. There was a time when I used to devour Michael Crichton books, but I've rarely ever read any John Grisham or Stephen King, and I'm not reading any Dan Brown. I realize this is a sort of an irrational and somewhat closed-minded choice, and as an observer of current pop culture, I should probably bite the bullet and begrudgingly hand over an evening or two to this guy, especially now that the book's out in paperback. But no. Like Bartleby the Scrivener, I will say, "I'd prefer not to," and stick to my personal, semi-thick-headed boycott. I don't think Mr. Brown will care one way or another ... Of course, now that I've posted this entry, international authorities know my weakness, and can eagerly prepare some Clockwork Orange-esque torture in which I'm threatened with having to read the dreaded Code unless I give up whatever information they'll be trying to get out of me. That's a price I'm willing to pay.

No comments: