Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Getting comfortable with Rakoff

With apologies to whomever happened to sit nearby me on the trains these past two days, I have to recommend a great book of essays that's been making me laugh out loud every few pages. It's "This American Life" contributor David Rakoff's latest, Don't Get Too Comfortable. (The subtitle is "The Indignities of Coach Class, the Torments of Low Thread Count, the Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems.") And as for anyone who's happened to read this book already: I had to wonder whether the civics nut "Sarah" mentioned in the first essay about the author getting his citizenship actually is Sarah Vowell? Even if not, it's fun to think that the author I read recently makes an appearance in the latest book I'm reading.

No comments: