Monday, November 28, 2005

Geocaching: Five years late on this trend

I felt a bit like one of those people who's never heard of blogging tonight, as D. mentioned to me how he and his brother went geocaching this weekend. It's basically a digital treasure hunt that mixes orienteering-type skills with modern-day handheld Global Positioning System receivers. And it's been around at least since 2000 [first NYT mention]. How come I've never heard of it? Could be that I've never owned a GPS unit and haven't ever really wanted one. They're cool and all, but not being much of an outdoorsman, I haven't seen the need.

For more details, check out the Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site: Geocaching.com. Apparently, there are even caches hidden in the city here, so this isn't just a rural/suburban thing.

No comments: