Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Three real live books and a virtual album

I'm in three-book mode at the moment, reading three books at different times of the day, depending on my mood and place.

1. Ordinary Resurrections: Children in the Years of Hope by Jonathan Kozol (file under sociology/religion)

2. Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman (poetry)

3. Here Beneath Low-Flying Planes by Merrill Feitell (short fiction)

Also, why has it taken me so long to listen to and love Death Cab for Cutie? I just got their new album, Plans. I especially like "Different Names for the Same Thing" and "Soul Meets Body," but it's all very good. How did you -- if you are a fan -- first discover this band?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got into Death Cab and Postal Service at the same time (Both are fronted by the same guy, Ben Gibbard) after a friend lent me a CD.
I lost interest around the time I heard a recording of Gibbard breaking down in tears during a live radio performance because he was too distraught over the results of the 2004 election to continue playing. Very un-rock-n-roll if you ask me.
- Daryl

Jeremy said...

Sorry to hear he was getting too emo for you. ;-)

I still like the music, though.