Sunday, September 18, 2005

The Island was a no-show, the food was not

My parents visited yesterday. I met them at the bus terminal, then we took the M11 down to the Meatpacking District, got out, and headed for Hudson River Park. It was a beautiful late summer evening with the sun getting ready to set over the opposite shore, but there was no Floating Island as promised. We arrived at Pier 46 where this opening was supposed to be, but while the reception was scheduled for 5 to 7, there was no art by 6, only lots of people cramming onto the pier and tiny samplings of foie gras being passed around. Perhaps the organizers wanted the "island" to make a grand entrance, but we didn't stick around to find out.

Instead, we headed over to Philip Marie, a New American restaurant on Hudson Street. It's across from Mama Buddha, the "Chinese diner" where I like to eat and can afford to eat on a more regular basis. I had baked brie with endive and asparagus salad to start and grilled salmon with grilled vegetables and jack cakes for my entree. I'm not sure what jack cakes are made of, but they certainly tasted good. I want to say there was a cornmeal base involved, but I can't be sure.

Our evening together was capped off with a stop at Tasti-D-Lite and a walk uptown.

Yes, I really like that place and their soft-serve and will go there willingly.

No comments: