Thursday, September 15, 2005

"Blessed are the forgetful: for they get the better even of their blunders."

I was practically falling asleep in the middle of the day, but when I got home, the DVD I bought on eBay had arrived in the mail, and I ended up watching it despite my sleepiness. It was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

What a great movie! Charlie Kaufman is a genius! I'd seen it before in the theaters, but it was still very entertaining to see a second time, since I forgot what happens at certain points. I think something that makes Kaufman's scripts so great is that they have really intriguing premises, but he doesn't relax after establishing the premise. He runs with it and takes it in all sorts of directions. Too many movies just seem to conk out after they've established their premise, hitting autopilot somewhere midway through.

One bit of trivia that I learned from the DVD extras: The scene where Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet's characters are watching the circus elephants marching through Midtown was not planned as a scene, but the crew happened to be filming when this annual event was going on outside, so they rushed over and did some spontaneous shooting. Much more trivia (it is a Kaufman movie after all) is tabulated at IMDB.

[The quote is from the movie ... and Nietzsche, of course.]

No comments: