Friday, August 05, 2005

Pricey fill-ups? Walk on by

I stopped into the local gas station convenience store -- which I have to say always feels a bit weird and out of place sitting there all suburban-like on Broadway -- and bought an ice cream last night. Of course, I couldn't help but notice that the price of top-grade gasoline is nearing $3: It was $2.86 last night. Absolutely insane! There was a time not that many years ago when our local station back home was selling regular unleaded for less than $1. I know I'm probably paying for it otherwise, and obviously friends and family are hit by this, but I have to admit I feel a little relieved that I don't have a car and therefore don't have to pay these exorbitant prices. Of course, my rent is probably pretty high by national standards, but at least that hasn't changed since the day I moved in.

No comments: