Friday, August 05, 2005

An NYU ad rant

Speaking of advertising, have you seen those ads on the subway and elsewhere for New York University's School of Continuing and Professional Studies? Setting aside for the moment all the bad things I've heard about NYU (overpriced, lacking in quality and rigorous content, just pay them for a certificate, etc.), I still think one of those ads is a bit off-key. The copy reads: "The class lasted two hours, the post-class discussion lasted three cappuccinos. ... That's why I go to NYU." Now I get what they're trying to go for -- the idea that the learning doesn't stop once you leave the classroom.

But how about the coffee element in that equation? Do you know anyone who drinks three cappuccinos in a row? Like: Order one. Down that one. Tell the waitress to "keep 'em comin'." Down the second one when it arrives, and then decide, you know, I could really go for a third cappuccino. So rinse out that milk frother again, because two just weren't enough for me.

It's one thing to have a bottomless cup of regular old diner coffee, where the server just tops up your cup a few times. But cappuccino? Three of them? That just says to me weird people go to NYU -- or out-of-touch people write their copy.

Or maybe I just don't hang around with enough Starbucks fiends.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

As a graduate of NYU's masters program I agree that
1) I basically paid for my degree
2) I never, not even once, had multiple cups of coffee with any of my fellow master's classmates. Martinis, maybe, beer, certainly, but not caffinated beverages.

And why is NYU advertising on subways (I've seen those ads too). Isn't that reserved for Katherine Gibbs or the Chubbs Institute?

Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction to the ads. THREE capuccinos?! It's like drinking three milkshakes. Yeah, they're good, but one is plenty.
- Daryl