Sunday, August 07, 2005

Economics on Rivington

Is the Economist more appealing to liberals or conservatives? Or is it unfair to characterize it that way, drawing its readers instead from a wider range of viewpoints?

I always thought it swung pretty far right, but I was told otherwise last night when I asked a fellow patron of Moby's cafe Teany whether she really agreed with the magazine's general worldview. Now I'm not saying that the place is by definition a liberal hangout or anything, but it is the Lower East Side after all, and I was sort of surprised when she pulled out a copy and started reading it.

Turns out, she worked for the World Bank and thus she said the very international focus of the magazine appeals to her. I asked her how it was there since Paul Wolfowitz took over as president, and she said he's been a good listener, and hasn't quite steered the place down any rabbit holes yet. I asked her why the "World" Bank is based in D.C., and she told me that if another country were to donate more money to the cause, there's a good chance the HQ might be moved there, and she said Japan was nipping at the U.S.'s heels.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you can't ever have read the Economist. It was always left leaning.
VDH

Jeremy said...

I have read articles, but clearly not enough. Somewhere along the way, I must've picked up a skewed notion of the thing, and I guess it's always just been one of my blind spots.

Miss R said...

It's the only readily available publication in New York that has extensive, regular, international coverage. I have no compelling (read: professional) reason to read it, but if I want to feel even marginally aware of that which isn't NY, it's the only game in town. Plus the head shop at Essex and Delancy stocks it.