Saturday, July 23, 2005

It's a bag, bag, bag world

So the NYPD apparently started searching transit riders' bags yesterday. I was not searched and didn't see anyone else being searched, although I did notice cops on the subway platforms, which isn't necessarily all that strange.

The thing about big cities where many get around without cars is there are lots more people who carry bags. Yes, there are your typical students and workers and businesspeople, but also those just going around on their free time. It's my contention that guys here carry bags to a much greater degree than you're likely to see in suburban or rural places. It's the equivalent of the glove compartment in a car. You want a map, book, magazine, medicine, notepad, pens, business cards ... gloves even? Put it in your bag. Women, too, beyond their purses, are likely to have one or two extra bags on hand. All of which makes for many more of us potential searchees.

And on that note, I think it's time I did some shopping to replace my own worn-out, ink-stained bag.

No comments: