Friday, June 03, 2005

"People now go to parking garages to get their cars."

When this whole Deep Throat thing blew up this week, I was less than thrilled by it all. I know I probably should have been, being a media junkie and all, but it somehow all went by without my registering much of a reaction. No, I'm sorry, I couldn't make it through Woodward's long-winded I-didn't-break-it-this-time-but-let-me-tell-you-every-other-detail article. Instead, I read this piece in the Washington Post Style section by Hank Stuever, and it all felt a lot better. He articulates deftly and succinctly a lot of things I was feeling, especially for the audience of readers born after the era of Watergate. Besides, it's just a great piece of deadline writing, and it'll take you like five minutes to read. It was written in the style of the Post's Appreciation pieces that they do after the obits of famous people run and things settle some. Except this was about the death of a mystery instead of a person.

No comments: