Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Chacun a son gout

I have to concur with Daryl's observation that blogs are filled with talk of obscure bands these days. While on the one hand this can be good, because it means groups and singers can get exposure without having to first break through the Infinity and Clear Channel ceilings. But at the same time, it can make people feel like their knowledge of music is totally stilted or narrow.

I'm more likely to feel the latter these days, but I still argue for pushing little-heard-of musicians, especially if audio samples of their music are available somewhere online for free. I admit that talking about the NY (especially Off-Broadway) theater scene can seem a tad obscure from time to time, if you're nowhere near or have never been to the city, so I can appreciate some of that vibe.

But nonetheless, here are six songs I enjoy at the moment:

1) William Shatner's cover of the Pulp song "Common People" featuring Joe Jackson
2) "End of the Movie" by Cake
3) "Departure Bay" by Diana Krall
4) Seu Jorge's cover of the David Bowie song "Life on Mars?"
5) "Not Going Anywhere" by Keren Ann
6) "Give Judy My Notice" by Ben Folds

No comments: