Friday, May 27, 2005

Semi-celeb sighting

I saw WNYC's late morning host Brian Lehrer this evening on an uptown 9 train (one of the last). I eventually sat down in an empty seat next to him. I'd seen him once before at a Symphony Space event, but he was chatting with lots of people then, so I didn't get a chance to say hi and tell him how much I enjoy listening to his show when I can.

I kept debating in my head as each stop passed whether I should say something to him, but he looked like he kind of just wanted to go home and not have to be "Brian Lehrer" anymore. He got on at Chambers Street, near where the radio station offices are located (in the Manhattan municipal building). I was kind of surprised he was leaving the area around 6 p.m., since I've always figured he's in the office at least a few hours ahead of his 10 a.m. to noon show. Who knows: Perhaps he wasn't just leaving the office. He had on a green baseball hat (with no logo) and held his backpack in front of him. He didn't say a word, even when people started complaining that the train wasn't running, so I couldn't hear the distinctive voice.

No comments: