Friday, March 04, 2005

The short, but chatty, life of a cellphone

If Verizon keeps its word (and I've been understanding the sales people correctly), I should be eligible for a new cellphone next week, worth up to $100. It's definitely about time I got a new handset; my current one is beat-up and its call quality has gone down. Often, like today for instance, I'll make a call and then the person on the other end of the line won't be able to hear me, even though I can hear them, or vice versa.

So this little Samsung is going to be retired. But how much use have I gotten out of it? Luckily for my obsession with numbers, there is a "LifeTime" air-time log, so I know exactly how many calls I've made/received and how long I've been on the phone.

The totals? 4,408 calls amounting to 276 hours, 18 minutes and 16 seconds. Now, considering I bought it in early June 2003 (say June 4), what does that come out to, average-wise?

About six to seven calls a day. Three minutes and 45 seconds per call. Nearly 26 minutes per day, or about 1.8% of each day spent on the phone. The funny thing is, I don't remember spending so much time on the phone each day.

No comments: