Tuesday, March 22, 2005

A New York State taxing moment

So I got a love note in the mail from the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance the other day. My heart nearly skipped a beat as I saw the big envelope with their logo in the corner. I stepped onto the elevator and tore into the letter, wondering what sweet words it might hold. Would "audit" be among them? Or something like "missing income declaration"? Apparently, I shouldn't flatter myself. The more mundane and dumb (on my part, chiefly) reason for their correspondence? I'd forgotten to sign the bottom of my return. Yes, that was all. I duly affixed my John Hancock and spent the 60 cents to send it back to Albany.

In these days of e-signatures and e-filing, it just slipped my mind that you still need to flourish your pen even after the computer has done all the math for you and spit out the form to be mailed.

Let's just hope I don't get another letter from the state three weeks from now.

No comments: